Friday, September 20, 2013

The Intriguing Sketchbook of Bill Domonkos



Pete Moisan posted Why are these disturbing GIFs so beautiful? on Google+ recently, and we exchanged a handful of messages on it:
Here's the only one that I kind of liked [The Fly, below] in a collection that I found neither disturbing nor beautiful.
Yeah, I agree, too. These are like ideas an artist jots down in a sketchbook. Some look pretty half-baked and fall flat, but I'm intrigued by their possibilities. I'd be interested to see Domonkos create films from a couple of these ideas. For example, certain ones remind me of "The Others," "A Beautiful Mind," and "The Fly." 
Ideas jotted down in a sketchbook...I like that +Ron Villejo!
The following are the ones - by filmmaker, artist and animator Bill Domonkos - which reminded of those films:

In "The Others," the dead are photographed in black-and-white and do come to life
Citing the work of pioneering artists like Joseph Cornell, Marcel Duchamp, and Max Ernst as a big inspiration, Domonkos' fresh take on the Assemblage movement is a joy to behold. "I love movies," he tells The Verge, "especially early avant-garde experimental cinema ... All of the imagery and film footage I use was created before I was born. It's like being a time traveler of sorts; altering the past with the present."

In "A Beautiful Mind," John Nash sees streams of numbers and waves of equations
"I attempt to create images that move me in some way, either by the pure, abstract beauty of the motion or by the juxtapositions of the imagery. I hope that the audience will have a similar experience."
In "The Fly," a scientist becomes a fly after a fit of drunken recklessness
"They are more like ambient, frozen moments in time, no beginning and no end, opposed to the more narrative structure of my films. They are completely different animals, although the overall themes and technique are very similar."

No comments:

Post a Comment