Friday, May 2, 2014

Veneno Para Las Hadas, by Steven Wilson


When you're young, you're sleeping
With the love you're feeling
Waking up to evening
To the pulse you're breathing. 
Lift me up, I'm sinking
I never know what you're thinking. 
Nothing left, just ember
Only we remember
A bottle not for sharing
Poison for the fairy.
What people post on social media is often a curiosity for me.  My friend Mafe Encizo posted this on Facebook on June 4th 2013, and I remember feeling taken by it.  She posted the lyrics specifically, mentioning neither the song nor the singer.  A brooding melody with a painstaking rhythm.

I had never heard of Steven Wilson, but what I just found out was the title of his song is also the title of a 1984 Mexican horror film `Veneno Para Las Hadas (Poison for the Fairies).  The video uses only one image, that curiously of a man wearing a gas mask.  Wilson founded the band Porcupine Tree, and this image is on the cover of their album Insurgentes.

A Synchronicity

I added `Veneno Para Las Hadas, `Love on a Real Train, and `Forbidden Colours consecutively to my Pop Instrumentals, New Stuff playlist.  What I learned just as I was writing these articles was that they were all associated with films from 30 years ago: `Veneno Para Las Hadas (1984), `Risky Business (1983), and `Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence (1983).  Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment