Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Awa Dance Festival of Tokushima


My friend Hirai Mamoru posted this on Google+ - Awa Odori 2013:
Awa Odori is the most famous and largest dance festival in Japan, attracting over 1.3 million tourists every year.
I commented, What a wonderful dance and festival, Hirai! I loved reading about its history and the fact that it's become such a big celebration, wow. I didn't see very much difference in how the men and women dance, as both took some exuberant and dainty steps. Because of the nature of celebration, this is not a dance you'd see on stage, right, Hirai? 
Thank you, my friend! +Ron Villejo :) Yes, that's right. It's a local dance of Tokushima.

The dancers also chant hayashi kotoba call and response patterns such as "Yattosa, yattosa", "Hayaccha yaccha", "Erai yaccha, erai yaccha", and "Yoi, yoi, yoi, yoi". These calls have no semantic meaning but help to encourage the dancers.
Reference:  Awa Dance Festival

I just discovered this dance festival - Awa Odori - the most famous and the largest in Japan, from my friend +Hirai Mamoru. It goes back to the 16th century, and it attract thousands of dancers and over a million visitors through the streets of Tokushima. I love the dancing, costumes and chants!

No comments:

Post a Comment